[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit without repository connection doesnt do local actions.

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Apr 29 00:03:28 BST 2004

Eliot wrote:

> IMO any option in the server side cvsrc should be *enforced* by the server.
> I.e prevent client from commiting a change when a file is being reserved
> edited.

That's way too late... what if you've just spent two days fixing a bug and
someone else reserved edited it?  Fine if it's text, but if it's a binary
build you're stuffed.

> I can recompile (in theory anyway ;-) the client to ignore the servers
> cvsrc.

You'd have to change the whole client startup to remove that requirement... a
lot has changed since it was added.  In theory it's just a matter of adding
CVS_CMD_NO_CONNECT to the command and adding server startup code to the edit()
function, but there's more to it than that - eg. reading the server side cvsrc
'late' is not a good idea (the server switches should be processed before the
user switches).

If you want to produce a patch I'd consider it (make it an optional switch as
the current behaviour is too useful to be lost).

> Or I am forced to 'go behind the back of' CVS and make my local files
> editable, losing the ability to unedit etc.  Nothing is gained by this
> result.

not really... if you really want it then write a batch file that does the
unedit for you - offline it's little more than copying the file from CVS/Base
into the working directory anyway.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917