[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit without repository connection doesnt do local actions.

Eliot spam at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Wed Apr 28 23:34:36 BST 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> Eliot wrote:
>
>> So, the question becomes is the code or the documentation in error?
>> My (already expressed opinion) is that it is the code.
>

> I'm quite sure it's the documentation (and the source comments) that's
> behind. From what I remember the problem here is that CVSNT nowadays
> supports a server-side cvsrc file which might contain things like
> entries to enforce Reserved Edits, like:
>
> edit -c
> commit -c
>

> Thus, the client *has* to contact the server in order to make sure
> there's nothing like that in cvsrc or, if there is, that noone else is
> editing that file. Of course that's just an example. Any option given in
> the server-side cvsrc should be honored by the client. Otherwise there'd
> be no point in having something like that in the first place.

IMO any option in the server side cvsrc should be *enforced* by the server.
I.e prevent client from commiting a change when a file is being reserved edited.

I can recompile (in theory anyway ;-) the client to ignore the servers cvsrc.
Or I am forced to 'go behind the back of' CVS and make my local files editable,
losing the ability to unedit etc.  Nothing is gained by this result.

- Eliot