[cvsnt] Re: binary files

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Apr 29 12:38:30 BST 2004

Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:

> oh, and I had to empty my cvsroot and re-init, then put cvsignore and
> cvswrappers back in before I could get it to quit bitching about "can't
> get lock on  modules,v"....and I STILL get it if I'm not going directly
> to the repository  /repository   instead of
> :pserver:............../repository

I guess you're not running the lockserver yet. This has been enabled by
default recently as it's much more stable than using the old (deprecated
BTW) lock file approach. If you don't want to use the lockserver, you
could re-enable the old behaviour by setting LockServer=none in the
CVSROOT/config file (see http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/config.html).

> I think all the enhancements going it are great, but how about getting
> back to basics and fixing stuff so we can possibly import a project that
> has both text and binary files!!!

I guess you already know that you could also use the -W option to the
Import command (see http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/import.html#import-options)?

> some more things.... how am I supposed to run repositories on different
> "drives" on 'doze without the person accessing it needing to know about
> my drive letters?
<.snip.>
 > i.e. why does the user have to know the directory name?
 > any chance we'll ever get aliases for the repositories?

I think that would be a worthwhile feature addition indeed. It's not in
there yet, though.

> why won't setting the prefix allow one to have / as the repository?...

Um, unless I'm misunderstanding you (which I fear is the case) there is
no such thing on Windows...

> (when the hell did we start
> needing   -m  to handle binary files anyway?

You don't. -m is for "non-mergeable text files". You should use -k 'b'
for binary files. Look here: http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/Wrappers.html
or here for the "regular" CVS doc:
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/current/cvs_18.html#SEC164.

 >  where the hell did -state go?

Never heard about that and couldn't find it documented anywhere. Maybe
something from your RCS-days?

 > these don't all look like improvements to me.

AFAICT the cvswrappers format and handling hasn't changed for ages.
Certainly not since the CVSNT branch was created.

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org