[cvsnt] Administrative file perms in checkoutlist

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 19:08:30 BST 2004

I'm trying to add a script written in Ruby to my CVSROOT files as an
admin script, but it's coming back with permission denied when it tries
to run my script.  How do I change that do allow it to run without
manually setting the exec bit within CVSROOT each time?

Anyone know if this is a problem in CVS also or just CVSNT?  Just my
setup maybe? (or probably, since I haven't seen this reported before).

[gstarret at stanley test]$ cvs -q ci -m ""
/bin/sh: line 1: /home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/record_lastdir.rb: Permission denied
cvs server: Pre-commit check failed
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!

record_lastdir.rb contains:
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w
... (doesn't get past first line)

[gstarret at stanley test]$ ls -l /usr/bin/ruby
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3596 Mar  4 08:38 /usr/bin/ruby

Within record_lastdir.rb,v, it looks like the permissions are correct:
permissions     755;

File permission info:  Why is record_lastdir.rb read-only?
   drwxrwsr-x  3 cvs cvs 4096 Aug  1 10:56 /home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/

   -r--r--r--  1 gstarret cvs   2245 Aug  1 10:56 record_lastdir.rb
   -r--r--r--  1 gstarret cvs   2796 Aug  1 10:19 record_lastdir.rb,v

When I check out the files normally the exec is set properly too.  It's
just when the admin files are rebuilt that it doesn't set the perms.
Same thing happens for .pl or no extension files.

I'm using 2.0.51 on FC2.

--
Glen Starrett