[cvsnt] Re: ram disk?

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at bentley.com
Wed Aug 11 16:48:39 BST 2004

Even though the writes are cached, it's still eventually putting bytes
on the disk.  For a cvs server, which is focused on accessing the disk,
trying to access 2 different sections of the drive is much more time
consuming.  With my typical repositories exceeding 20,000 active files
(35,000 total files), that's a lot of access.  Even with
defragmentation, any given repository is scattered all over the disk,
and the temp space is fragmented no matter you do unless you dedicate a
drive to it.  A ram disk is the most efficient version of a drive.
Furthermore, I have empirical test results showing up to 150%
performance increase when using a ram disk 4 years ago.  However, CVS
has changed since then as well as OS's, so I was just wondering whether
the ram vs tmp space tradeoff has changed.  I noticed CvsNT sucking up
large tracts of RAM that I never saw happen with CVS, and it make me
think that more of the temp stuff may be stored in memory than disk now.

chuck