[cvsnt] Re: Increasing release with "commit -r" fails

Axel Eckenberger axel at eckenberger.de
Fri Aug 13 09:06:06 BST 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:0tomh0lu9v55lau31395npva2l143dbm9b at 4ax.com...
> No, it broke (the attempt to resurrect the floating branches broke
> it).  -r doesn't work at all at the moment.
>
> The fix is simple enough this time so I've put it in.

OK that save me going mad ... ;-)  Thanks Tony.

> Eventually I want to move away from numeric revisions completely but
> have held off because the frontends tend to use/display them (you can
> resolve any file as <branch>.<version> eg. HEAD.1, development.24,
> etc. which hides the internal numbers completely).

Would be great as it would make the revisions clearer.

Hovever, I still think that there migt be a case for the "release" numbers
i.e. the "1" or "2" as the first number, however this should be controlled
by the user and could be a property of a file - therefore it is metadata, it
can be handeled by lables and, following this arumentation, I just killed
the case ... :-)

Tony you're right one should not care about revision numbers.

Bye

Axel