[cvsnt] rtag has problems with virtual modules

Warren, Erik Erik.Warren at delta.com
Tue Aug 17 13:52:49 BST 2004

Since upgrading my cvsnt clients and servers from 2.0.34 to 2.0.51c I have noticed that rtag fails when tagging involves a module with more than one ampersand module or an alias module which defines several individual files within a module.
I would submit this in the bug tracker but for some reason when I try to sign up for an account I never get back an email with a password.  It is possible that the problem with bug tracker signup is due to spam blocker on my end but considering the amount of actual junk it lets in, I suspect something else is wrong.

My clients and server are all NT4.0 workstations using CVSNT 2.0.51c.

modules file contains the following:
[snip]
util util
splndg splndg
landsp &splndg &util
m90run m90run
m90runu -a util/awout.for   util/dates.for  util/delldg.for  util/filgen.for \
           util/formlp.for  util/formtp.for util/lclwout.for util/mkpdfbp.for \
           util/mkpdfhf.for util/pginfo.for util/qtwout.for  util/ralwout.for \
           util/rdcty3.for  util/tarray.for util/trace.for   util/vspout.for \
           util/wrtspip.for util/wrtspl.for util/chardat.inc util/compopt.inc \
           util/intedat.inc util/pdfcom.inc util/realdat.inc util/interpd.lib \
           util/getver.for
md90 &m90runu &m90run
[snip]

rtag works fine for a real module: (screen capture from command prompt)
C:\work>cvs -ttt rtag -R CVS_Test splndg
  -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 384
  -> Session ID is 1804121f9b63037
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi:watlo25hqj50115:/floe
  -> Requesting server cvsignore
  -> wrap_add(*.gif -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.pdf -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.bmp -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.jpg -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.jpeg -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.png -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.exe -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.dll -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.so -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.a -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.pdb -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.lib -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.o -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.res -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.class -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.ogg -kb, 0, 0)
  -> wrap_add(*.mp3 -kb, 0, 0)
  -> Requesting server cvswrappers
  -> Requesting server cvsrc (read-cvsrc2)
  -> Parsing global cvsrc started
  -> Parsing global cvsrc finished
cvs rtag: Tagging splndg
cvs rtag: Tagging splndg/Fortran
cvs rtag: Tagging splndg/Release

When rtag has 2 ampersand modules the first gets tagged but the second causes an error
C:\work>cvs -ttt rtag -R CVS_Test landsp
  -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 325
  -> Session ID is 1454121fa7332a0
[...]
cvs [rtag aborted]: Error communicating with lock server (send)

Similarly when an alias module is rtagged the first file is tagged fine but the second file causes same error
C:\work>cvs -ttt rtag -R CVS_Test m90runu
  -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 78
  -> Session ID is 4e4121fb7d3604
[...]

When I look at the files specified in alias module m90runu the first file (awout.for)  has been tagged.
The second file (dates.for) and all subsequent files has not been tagged.

Everything works as expected if I put the server back to 2.0.34 (and make sure I respecify the repository prefix).

Can anyone else reproduce this error?
Is there some way that I can get more info on the error from the lock server?

Erik W. Warren
Sr. Engineer - Flt. Ops. Engineering
Delta Air Lines
Dept. 088