[cvsnt] Forcing a revision....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 18 22:17:12 BST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:15:35 -0600, "Aaron Kynaston"
<akynaston at novell.com> wrote:

>Don't know if you've seen a response, but cvs co -r is a cvs checkout
>command.  I think you meant cvs ci -r . . possibly?

Yes of course! See the pasted output from WinCvs.
But I thought that co was shorthand for *co*mmit....

Still don't understand why CVS tells me that the revision does not
exist when that is really what is required in order to create a new
revision with that number....

>In order to suggest a solution to the guy who really wants to bump the
>revisions of his files by incrementing the major digit I tested the
>cvs co -r <rev> command to see what would happen.
>I did it from within WinCvs and the result is somewhat surprising:
>
>cvs -z9 commit -m "testing revision forcing" -r 2.1 ModuleYYdoc.txt
>(in directory F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleYY\)
>Checking in ModuleYYdoc.txt;
>cvs [server aborted]: revision `2.1' does not exist
>
>Of course revision 2.1 does not exist, I am trying to commit a file
>that will get that revision afterwards. So what does this error
>message mean and wht should I have done instead? I know that it is
>possible to force a new revision of a file and to increment the major
>digit but the only command I found that could possibly do it is the
>cvs commit...
>
>Why is this error displayed?
>
>Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
>Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51 (client/server)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)