[cvsnt] REPOST Locking & Security Problems

John De Lello JohnD at DelWare.com
Thu Aug 19 21:44:59 BST 2004

Hello everyone,

Can someone please explain how lockserver works? We are running CVSNT 2.04
on a Windows 2003 server and trying to do the following

Local Security Groups
=====================
cvs_proj1_read
cvs_proj1_write

Repository Tree
===============
F:\home\cvs\proj1
	|-> cvs_proj1_read has only read access
	|-> cvs_proj1_write has read/write access

All sub-folders of proj1 inherit permissions from proj1.

CVS Temp Directory
==================
Everyone read/write access

CVS Lock Directory (f:\cvslocks)
================================
Everyone read/write access

Now the problem is, CVS is trying to create the #cvs.lock stuff inside
F:\home\cvs\proj1 which fails for any user who is not in the cvs_proj_write
group.

Our config file looks like this:
================================
LockDir=f:\cvslocks
LockServer=none

We've also tried this:
#LockDir=cvslocks
LockServer=localhost:2402

But that yields the same results.

How can I tell CVSNT to put lock files in a specific folder that is NOT in
the repository? BTW, we can't upgrade to 2.05 since there seems to be a bug
with processing the loginfo file in that version.

Thank you for your help
John