[cvsnt] Request for testing: Case sensitive filesystem driver

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Aug 20 00:25:24 BST 2004

I've knocked together a hack to make certain NTFS directories case
sensitive.  It's just a first cut (more a proof of concept really)
and I'd like people to stress it a bit to see if it does the stuff
before thinking about integrating it into CVSNT.

The file is at:

http://www.cvsnt.org/archive/posixdir.zip

The usage instructions are (basically):

1. Unpack the two files into a directory
2. Run posixdir -i
3. Reboot
4. Do 'net start posixdir' (it doesn't start automatically for safety
reasons, as it's a kernel driver).
5. Create a directory somewhere called ~Posix.  It doesn't have to be in
the root but it makes sense to go there.
6. If it's working NTFS should treat everything under that directory as
case sensitive in both console and Windows apps (although not all apps
will cope nicely).

My testing hasn't broke it yet, but if/when it goes I expect it to go
spectacularly (bluescreen, the whole works...)