[cvsnt] cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server ttscvs01: 0: No such file or directory

Mike Wake mike.wake at thales-tts.com
Fri Aug 20 15:11:55 BST 2004

Hi all,

This is probably Just a heads up but I thought I share anyway since the
error message is not all that helpful.

I have just migrated a repository from a win2k machine that was created
back in the 2.0.4 days to a linux machine running 2.0.51b.  The
repository started out using pserver and local users on the server as
outlined in Bo's server setup page.  I naturally had a CVSROOT/passwd
file on the server.

I subsequently ugraded as time went by and newer and better versions
came about. I have been using 2.0.34 with the sspi protocol for quite
some time now.  The CVSROOT/passwd file and the necessity for local
users fell into disuse and did not cause any problems.

The passwd file contains the same usernames that are used with :sspi:
but the passwords are different.  With new security measures I assume
that this is no longer allowed.

After copying the repository from the win2k machine to the linux
machine, applying the necessary file and directory permissions I tried
to login, using WinCVS and :sspi: only to be met with

cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server ttscvs01: 0: No such file
or directory

I eventually tried removing the old no longer needed passwd file and
everything is now operational.

Hope this helps
Mikew