[cvsnt] System orientation

Mo Welch mwelch4 at cogeco.ca
Fri Aug 20 16:34:11 BST 2004

There seems to be a total lack of system orientation for
newbies regarding the system structure of cvs (ie: in available documentation).  For example, do you need a local server for cvs, or not? If yes, why? If not, why? Again, if you have WinCvs on your machine - then why do you also need CVSNT?  Let's suppose I just want to learn how all this software works and fits together before I begin to rumble on the network.  Can I set up a "localhost" loopback system on my local machine, using WinCvs and CVSNT, and realistically learn how this software is supposed to work without running into a myriad of connection and technical probems?  Can anyone out there write a concise, clear, summary about how this supposedly wonderful software system is supposed to work.  (The fact that there appears to be at least FOUR(4) different definitions for CVSROOT makes me really leary???).