[cvsnt] newbie install Q

Paul Beer paul.beer at eztaxreturn.com
Wed Aug 25 16:40:53 BST 2004

I am installing the CVSNT server for the first time (V2.08).  This behavior
has happened repeatedly on Windows 2000.
I intall a CVSNT and add a repository with a prefix.

d:/cvs = prefix
repository = /cvsdev

i have a folder named d:/cvs/cvsdev with subfolders.  these show up when i
do "fetch list".

the behavior i see--which is only alluded to in the docs as "an internal
server error"-- creates a directory tree but just before extracting files i
get the error:

cvs checkout: in directory .:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

after this the folder is wiped out.

I have seen this issue mentioned but never really resolved, i assume b/c of
communication off the list.
I know there is probably a very obvious solution to this, but I can't see
it.

i can also see a folder being created in my cvs 'temp' folder, and the
entries file is pointing to a file that does not exist, like:
d//MYSUBFOLDER

when it should be
d//cvs//cvsdev//MYSUBFOLDER

just pulling at straws for potential issues.

i amusing cvsnt in conjunction with tortoise CVS client V1.4.5 in case that
has anything to do with it, but i doubt it since this is working on windows
NT4.  i have also seen this same behavior using CVSNT2.51D and latest
TORTOISE release(1.6.14).

any help would be much appreciated.

best,
paul