[OT] HTML and TOCs (was RE: [cvsnt] Re: Synchronizing two CVS servers)

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Dec 1 09:54:29 GMT 2004

> From: Czarnowski, Aric [mailto:aczarnowski at unimax.com]
> My company is full of people that continue to use MS-Word for simple
> design docs, white papers and other internal notes.  The reason they
> always give is "it does table of contents automatically."

<Chuckle>.  Just for fun, I once wrote an automatic TOC generator for
HTML.  It was an ex script (I tend to use vi [don't ask], so ex was
natural for this) that added <a name=...> to all the headings, stripped
all the <hn>...</hn>, moved them to the end of the file in order with a
marker line above them, then modified that into nested <ol>s, then
modified the names into hrefs so that they linked back into the body of
the document, then looked for a marker in the main text of 'INSERT TOC
HERE' and did just that.

I probably still have the code somewhere.

		- Peter