[cvsnt] Source Control Best Practices?

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Mon Dec 6 16:01:59 GMT 2004

> Does any one know of a book or articles describing
> "best practices" for source control?

There are a couple I can think of directed at CVS:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/starter_kit/vc/index.html

The first is online but directed at standard CVS instead of CVSNT.  It
is still conceptually good and has been referenced here a few times.
The second got good reviews and I have been meaning to order a copy and
read it.  There are probably others that talk about source control "in
general" and I found the Perforce website and some Subversion
discussions to bring up interesting issues to think about.

I agree with your initial premise, many times I think people are given
assignments by their pointy haired bosses like "we need source control
so get that running by Thursday" and in the rush to get it done fail to
explore what they really need or can do and end up with some weird mash
of what they did before with a new tool they picked after a cursory
examination.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation