[cvsnt] cvsnt configuration on Linux server - help request

Dianne Chen diana_chen23 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 17:35:51 GMT 2004

Hi-

I have tried to read everything I can find on cvsnt
installation on a Linux machine, including the cvsnt
wiki docs, and much reading of the archive. It seems
that the wiki is a collection of helpful notes, some
outdated, with (I hope) some things missing. If I can
get some help to walk me thru the process, I would be
happy to give back by updating the documentation with
everything I've learned, if that would be of value.

For reference, I am referring to:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationLinux

The goal of my activity is to have a Linux Server,
running RH Enterprise and cvsnt. The client PCs are
running WinXP and will be using TortoiseCVS (for
simplicity). Right now, the server is running with RH,
and cvsnt 2.0.58d is installed.

Questions
1) In 1.3 of the wiki Linux docs, they talk about
PServer configuration. My reading shows this to be a
insecure method due to near plaintext of passwords.
Since I believe that I want to use ssh, which means
specifying the "ext" method, does this mean I skip
section 1.3? Or does PServer mean something else here?

2) For section 1.4.1 of the wiki, running cvs with
xinetd, does this get done if you do not desire to use
pserver? Or do you do this and somehow specify "ext"?

- Lockserver was added to chkconfig ok and the "-list"
shows it's running

- A repository was created at /usr/local/cvs and looks
properly populated

3) Section 1.7, Permissions, appears to be where one
changes the group of the cvs repository (maybe from
root to cvs?), adds users, etc. Are there any pointers
as to how this is done? What groups should be added,
who should the owners be of the various components,
etc. Also, what does impersonation refer to?

4) Is it necessary to sync up the time on the clients
with the time on the Linux server? If so, is there a
pointer on how that can happen?

I am thinking I will have more questions as soon as I
learn more from the community. Again, I appreciate any
help - and I would be happy to update the docs to give
back.

Much thanks,

DC