[cvsnt] Re: Purge file history because of user CVS utilisation error...

Aaron Kynaston akynaston at novell.com
Tue Dec 21 23:40:39 GMT 2004

This is interesting, and may be somewhat debateable . .

I've had a few times where I've had a small set of larger library files
that didn't make sense to keep a version, but I still wanted them under
a tag - it was frustrating to be wasting the extra space . .I understand
space is cheap these days, but my point is that I wanted CVS to be in
control of them, but still give me the benefit of storing it under a
tag, and know that any future changes to those files would only be
maintained at the latest revision of the file. . .

I guess if there was a way to simply copy the file in CVS, and have cvs
commands operate on it . .that'd be handy . . .but again, I realize what
I'm saying - you'd have to treat it as an RCS file and may be messy . .

It sounds like this was something in CVSNT before, why was it removed?

>>> Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at telia.com> 12/21/2004 4:23:09 PM >>>
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:08:53 -0200, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>That's actually something I really miss in cvsnt: an option to mark a
file
>so that the repository keeps only the last version (of all branches)
and
>possibly any tagged versions.

Keeping only the last revision in CVS serves no purpose in a version
control system... If you do this you might as well not store the file
in CVS, because it is equally possible to just keep it on the disk
where you work...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)