[cvsnt] Re: Purge file history because of user CVS utilisation error...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Dec 21 23:55:44 GMT 2004

Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> I've had a few times where I've had a small set of larger library files
> that didn't make sense to keep a version, but I still wanted them under
> a tag - it was frustrating to be wasting the extra space . .I understand
> space is cheap these days, but my point is that I wanted CVS to be in
> control of them, but still give me the benefit of storing it under a
> tag, and know that any future changes to those files would only be
> maintained at the latest revision of the file. . .

That's rather hard to do, as you have to maintain both the head of every
   branch and version for every branchpoint just to keep an RCS file
coherent.  It'd be a fairly difficult thing to implement and get right.

Binary deltas help a little, although they're far from perfect (I
suspect the algorithm needs some tweaking anyway, as the resultant file
size has crept up over time as I've fixed stuff).

Keeping a completely unversioned file could be done, although you'd lose
tags/branch support.

> It sounds like this was something in CVSNT before, why was it removed?

There's never been anything like it in CVSNT.