[cvsnt] Re: Purge file history because of user CVSutilisationerror...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Dec 23 14:27:56 GMT 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:16:48 -0200, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>Florent Gilain wrote:
>
>> Finally, my goal was just to be able to select 1 file and to ask CVS to
>> delete history of this file only...
>
>That in itself is (almost) easy enough... :)
>
>WinCvs: Get the graph, and use the commands "select non-significant" and
>"delete revisions" (only one file at a time, and could be slow, as it
>deletes one revision at a time repeatedly for all selected revisions)

I made a copy of the RCS file we store the exe file in (this has 100
revisions and is 185 Mb in size), just to test the revision delete
function.
What I did was:
- Graph file
- Use the select insignificant function
- Go over the tree and unselect mergepoint revisions etc that should
be kept
- Then I used the dlete revision command

Now the fish started swimming forever, after several minutes I could
see in the feedback window that one revision had been removed. But the
selected revisions were about 65 or so. So I had to cancel the
operation.
Apparently this function takes forever (in today's parlance) so it is
not really an option to use on binary files...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)