[cvsnt] Re: Purge file history because of user CVSutilisationerror...

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Dec 24 14:08:25 GMT 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:16:48 -0200, Gerhard Fiedler
> <lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:
>>WinCvs: Get the graph, and use the commands "select non-significant" and
>>"delete revisions" (only one file at a time, and could be slow, as it
>>deletes one revision at a time repeatedly for all selected revisions)
>
> I made a copy of the RCS file we store the exe file in (this has 100
> revisions and is 185 Mb in size), just to test the revision delete
> function.
> What I did was:
> - Graph file
> - Use the select insignificant function
> - Go over the tree and unselect mergepoint revisions etc that should
> be kept
> - Then I used the dlete revision command
>
> Now the fish started swimming forever, after several minutes I could
> see in the feedback window that one revision had been removed. But the
> selected revisions were about 65 or so. So I had to cancel the
> operation.
> Apparently this function takes forever (in today's parlance) so it is
> not really an option to use on binary files...

Hmm... I use exactly this sequence regularly on a file I share with someone
and that we edit frequently. When I'm lazy, the RCS file grows to some 200+
MB (the file itself is about 10 MB), with some 50 or so revisions to delete
(and about 10 or so that I keep). The repository is on a 400MHz Win2k box
(so not really fast), the server version is cvsnt 2.0.34.

I usually run this sequence from the WinCvs installation on the same
machine (version 1.3.20.3). It takes about 25 s for each revision removal.
The file is stored as -kb.

The command line version is much quicker overall, because it seems to take
about the same time to remove one single revision as it takes to remove a
range of revisions with one command. But you don't have the visual aids
about tags etc, so you need to look at the graph, and then issue the
commands for every stretch manually.

Gerhard