[cvsnt] Problem with cvstemp

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jan 2 07:33:09 GMT 2004

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:09:18 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Any permission errors relating to temp directories though are nothing to
>do with locks - filesystem locks are put into the repository itself, so
>you'd get the error there.  The temp directories hold a temporary
>sandbox that the server uses to do its stuff.

Thanks for clarifying this about lockserver and the temp dir.

So the tempdir is still in need of special permission setup to be
operational?

In that case I would suggest that the installer creates the temp dir
for CVS in a place *not* inside Windows\* or Documents and Settings\*
and that it sets the permissions for this dir so that everyone will
have full control (including SYSTEM).

I have had to do a similar manipulation in the Innosetup installer for
ViewCvs to make it work on XP systems and up because of the file
system lockdown that Microsoft has introduced. Same thing for an
application at work, which is supposed to be installed into its own
folder tree off the main disk root. MS has decided that all of the
disk outside "My Documents" are off limits to normal users....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)