[cvsnt] authentication failed

David Somers dsomers at trevezel.com
Thu Jan 8 18:10:03 GMT 2004

Hi Glen,

> > I've created two new root repositories (using the CVS for NT
> > control panel
> > applet), called "/test" and "/trevezel".
> >
> > The strange thing is that I can only access the one called
> > "/test". If I try
> > to access the other one I get an Authentication failed.
>
> The repositories can have different settings.  Look for differences in the
> config file in their respective CVSROOTs (specifically SystemAuth), and if
> you're using READERS or WRITERS.

I hate to say this, but they are *identical*.

But I've kinda worked around the 'problem'...

> Also note that unless your credentials are different on the
> server than what
> you logged in with locally, you don't need to include "username@" in the
> cvsroot (-d) parameter.

This is the 'problem'.

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:david at caxton:/test ls
Listing modules on server

CVSROOT

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:david at caxton:/turnip ls
cvs [ls aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:david at caxton:/potato ls
cvs [ls aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:caxton:/test ls
Listing modules on server

CVSROOT

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:caxton:/turnip ls
Listing modules on server

CVSROOT

H:\>cvs -d :sspi:caxton:/potato ls
Listing modules on server

CVSROOT

as you can see, I've got three root repositories, test, turnip, and potato.
(well, what else would you call your test roots!)

I can always get at test.

turnip and potato only work when I *omit* my username(and I am currently
logged in under that username)

I get the feeling that "test" is being handled as a special case within
cvsnt ;-)

Also:
   cvs -d :sspi:david at caxton:/turnip ls
   takes about 1 second to respond
but
   cvs -d :sspi:caxton:/turnip ls (and turnip and potato)
   takes about 8 seconds to respond.

If I use WinCVS to access these roots, it works just fine (and the username
is given). Also, it works in about 1 second to do a "ls". The really strange
thing is that WinCVS is executing the same cvs.exe that I'm using from the
command line, but its behaving differently.

Cheers,

David