[cvsnt] Problem with TCVS and SSPI protocol...

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Tue Jan 13 19:14:19 GMT 2004

Hello,
  I have found a problem using TortoiseCVS and the SSPI protocol with CVSNT
version 2.0.14 and greater.  When you attempt to do anything with TCVS
(checkout, add, fetch module list, etc) and you have not logged in
previously with the SSPI protocol, then TCVS will not prompt for a password
and exit with the following error.

------------------------------
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from zombiec.uai.int: cvs
[server aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access
------------------------------

  I have installed a copy of CVSNT 2.0.12a and TCVS works correctly with
that version and gives this responce

------------------------------
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from zombiec.uai.int: cvs
[server aborted]: Authentication failed

Error, CVS operation failed

In C:\Documents and Settings\jcole\My Documents: C:\Program
Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe -q -x login
CVSROOT=:sspi:jcole at zombiec.uai.int:/test

Logging in to :sspi:jcole at zombiec.uai.int:2401:/test

Success, CVS operation completed
------------------------------

So if you have never logged in, or happen to log out, you cannot use TCVS
and SSPI with CVSNT > 2.0.14 (I couldn't get the 2.0.13 installation to
work, it may be corrupt as it is only 2.2MB where the rest are around 3.5MB)
unless you log in with the command line to the repository or login with TCVS
on a version <= 2.0.12a before upgrading to 2.0.14

I can switch between 2.0.12a and 2.0.14 and use the same TCVS client to
generate the error, but note, that if you log in with 2.0.12a, then 2.0.14
will appear to work fine until you log out.  If you try to stasrt with
2.0.14-2.0.20 then you won't be able to log in at all with TCVS.

To test the setups, I loaded two VirtualPC systems with Windows 2000 and
fresh copies of CVSNT and TCVS.  I tried CVSNT 2.0.12a - 2.0.20 (excluding
2.0.13) and TCVS 1.6.1 and 1.4.5 all with the stated results.

I have also posted this to the TCVS mail list.

Thanks,

John Cole