[cvsnt] Microsoft Outlook Distribution List

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon Jan 19 09:35:29 GMT 2004

> From: Czarnowski, Aric [mailto:aczarnowski at unimax.com]
> > I am setting up a Distribution List for CVS contacts using
> > Microsoft Outlook 2000 and have called it "CVS Mailing List".
> > As there will be about 200 contacts on the mailing list I
> > don't want all the names to show at the top of the email if
> > anyone wants to print out the email.  However this is what
> > happens if I put "CVS Mailing LIst" in the "To" box.
>
> That sounds like an Exchange setup issue and not a CVS issue - the
> address is not functioning as a normal mailing list.  If the mail gets
> there then loginfo (or whatever) is done.  We also mail to Exchange
> groups from CVS and do not have this problem.  I don't,
> however, manage Exchange so I can't tell you how we set that up.

Approaches:

1) Use an Exchange dist list, not an Outlook dist list.  Outlook dist
lists aren't really known to Exchange, and it has to substitute the
names into the message in order to send.

2) Put a dummy name into the To: box, and the dist list into the BCC:
box (View>BCC if you can't see it).

		- Peter