[cvsnt] Newbie Question

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 04:40:57 GMT 2004

Jeetu Mahtani wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to CVSNT and am interested in managing my visualstudio.net vb
>project in CVSNT. I am using CVS GUI as my source code mgnt front end tool.
>I have a .net project that has references to other external dll's. How would
>I check in my complete project and solution into CVS NT? I would also like
>to check in the external dll's. All these have to checked in a manner so
>that if I can Nant to check out and compile my project on the CVSNT server.
>Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm using CVSNT + TortoiseCVS with VS.Net for my application also.  I am
keeping my 3rd party DLL's in CVS as well.  I put all my 3rd party DLL's
in a specific directory that is in my sandbox and reference them there.
VS will automatically copy them to my bin directory when I compile.

I also have scripts set up to compile my VS.Net application, and another
set to deploy it.  So when I'm ready, all I do is run "makeat &&
deploytest" to make AT (my application's initials) and deploy it to the
test server.

I'm still learning what works / doesn't work with that setup, but so far
it's pretty good.  When I have a distribution file I need to localize I
set up a specific version of the DeployXXXX script, set some environment
variable in it, then possibly use sed to edit files that need the
localization (e.g. server & database name in a global.asa, the directory
to copy everything to, etc.).

I also have a makedb script that runs the commands to install updated
scripts into my SQL Server database, but I handle that separate from the
deployment process (it's a little more complex).

That way, it's all done in an easily repeatable way.

I'm interested in what others do as well--I'm certain there are things
that could be done better.

Hope this helps.