[cvsnt] how can I remove a branch?? Someone ! Anyone !!

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Jan 27 04:11:52 GMT 2004

Paul Levin wrote:

> When I imported a file tree into CVS, to create a new module, all of
> the files were created with a branch.  So for each file, there is a
> 1.1 version and a 1.1.1.1 version.
>
> I would like to remove the 1.1.1.1 version and the branch.
>
> How can I do this?

That's the way that import works, and was designed to work.  There are
scripts to get around it using some front end clients (e.g. TortoiseCVS
and WinCVS, likely others).  I'm not sure of how to remove an imported
vendor branch in particular because of the way CVS handles the import.

Best bet:  I'd suggest you redo your import and use one of those if you
really don't want a vendor branch.

Also, I do seem to remember something about a new option to suppress
that import behavior, but I don't recall if it was just discussed,
implemented in CVS, or implemented in TortoiseCVS.  Try googling for the
answer.

Here's something else you might try (experiment with a small test
sandbox first, of course):
--Import the files normally.
--Check out a sandbox at HEAD.
--Touch all files (append an empty line at the end if touching isn't enough)
--Commit
--Use "cvs tag -Bd vtag" to try to delete the vendor branch.

Note that I *think* you need to commit on head first because they are
'deleted' at rev 1.1 on main but automagically appear on HEAD because
it's a vendor branch.