[cvsnt] Log exit code > 0 even on success?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 07:05:56 GMT 2004

This might turn out to not be a CVSNT issue at all but just maybe it is,
so...

I recently got reports about the WinCvs Build ChangeLog macro misbehaving.
The problem as far as I was able to identify is that CVS returns with an
Exit Code 1 even though the log appears to have been created correctly. In
some cases it even appears that the log is returned via STDERR...

However, my Macro aborts the ChangeLog creation because it currently only
checks the Exit Code. It also dumps the contents of STDERR to the console if
the Exit Code is > 0 and this in some cases leads to the console being
flooded with the raw log (even though this is not totally proven yet to be
the cause - might also be an issue in the WinCvs macro API).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this problem myself so far
even though I remember that I did get this a few times with the old TCL
ChangeLog macro years ago. The recent reporters have all been using the
CVSNT 2.0.12 client that came with WinCvs 1.3.14. One of the users reporting
this was using CVSNT 1.11.1.2 on the server, of the others I don't know yet.
I recommended to upgrade the server but I haven't gotten feedback on that
yet.

In the meantime:
Is there any way to tell from the CVS(NT) source code when such a situation
could potentially arise and what could be the reason for it? How can I
reliably check for success or failure of the Log command?

Cheers and TIA,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org