[cvsnt] Make files read only when update/checkout with a tag?

Williams, Tim WilliamsTim at PRAIntl.com
Tue Jan 27 19:04:29 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

  I would like to know if there is a way to make all files "read only" in a
sandbox if the user updates or checks out to a sandbox using a tag.  We
currently use a Perl script called from taginfo to make certain tag names
immutable (no move or delete) since we want these tags to permanently
represent certain "snapshots" of the project.

  If a user were to checkout or update using one of these sacred tags, all
files in the sandbox would be set to "read only."  If the programmer later
updates back to HEAD, the files would be changed back to read/write access
and development could continue.

  Any ideas on how I may be able to do this?  Could I use the modules file
and the -o option to call a script that sets permissions for me?    Maybe
I'm missing something obvious since I am a relatively new user.

BTW, we are using CVSNT 2.0.4 and TortoiseCVS 1.4.5  .

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Tim

Tim Williams
SAS Systems Administrator
PRA International