[cvsnt] how can I remove a branch?? Someone ! Anyone !!

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jan 29 04:28:07 GMT 2004

Paul Levin wrote:

> Thanks guys.  I have found that any time I get a writable instance of
> a file that is reporting as version 1.1.1.1, and I commit changes, the
> version then shows 1.2 and the 1.1.1.1 is gone from the tree.  This is
> good enough for me.
>
> I may look at some of the other suggestions you gave, also.

The vendor branch works a little different than normal branches that
way.  If you do another import, with updated code that you're importing,
you'll notice that the updated import files now have a 1.1.1.2 version.
If you had made any changes to those same files on the main trunk,
you'll get a warning that you need to merge in changes.  The idea is
that someone else controls that which you're importing, and you want to
keep it up to date with your own patches applied.  You then need to
merge the vendor branch back onto your main to catch up (and, assuming
no conflicts, your changes are still intact).

At least, that's what I've learned about it from experimenting with it.
If anyone else has better insights please explain.

I don't know if that's good or bad relative what you're doing, but you
should know how it works so you know what to expect next time there's an
import.