[cvsnt] Re: 2.0.46 newbie install questions

Ann Lynnworth ann at href.com
Thu Jul 1 10:20:15 BST 2004

Oliver,

I wanted to let you know that I got my first repository working, and
without doing a complete reinstall. Thanks to you and others for all the tips.

Some notes of possible interest:

1. I got myself in trouble by misunderstanding the meaning of the readers
and writers files. I put usernames into both files, thinking that gave them
both read + write rights. No!  You have to leave users out of the readers
file and only keep them in the writers file, or you get errors as if you
never granted write access.  Of course it's obvious once you know the rule,
but I didn't see the rule written anywhere.

2. I also didn't fully appreciate how many filetypes that I *know* are
binary, CVSNT would treat as text.  I made many modifications to the
cvswrappers file, even having started with the list provided by
devguy.   That mistake probably cost me the most time, first to figure out
what was wrong and second to figure out how to modify the binary files in
such a way that comitting them back onto the server would get them
considered as a revision!

3. I did back off to using only 1 repository instead of 2.

4. I kept the space in the module name because I am in a testing phase, and
so far the spaceful-module-name has been working fine.

5. I did make two Windows users, one for administration and one for
read-only access, and mapped the passwd user list to those names.  No
problems there.

6. I added a few notes to the wiki-based readme file.  If there were a page
dedicated to install notes for NT/Win2000/XP/2003 servers, I would send
across some screen shots and detailed notes (before I forget them all).  I
don't know the procedure for extending the wiki documentation.  It seems
most things point to the devguy page yet his notes are not for version 2.

Thanks again.

Ann