[cvsnt] Re: How do I add a single file?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jul 1 23:48:14 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> Glen,
>  Maybe I don't understand your term "sand box". I assumed sand box meant
> that I was working locally and specify a local path to the repository
> instead of specifying an IP address for the server.
>  Did you mean something else?  What would the exact command be if my
> repository is C:\CONVEX and my default directory is \Program Files\Apache
> Group\Apache2\cgi-bin and I had previously imported all of cgi-bin and
> severeral of cgi-bin's sibling directories and the file I want to add to the
> project is abc.xyz?
>
>     Thanks again!
>           Siegfried

A "sandbox" is an area on your local system where you have done a
checkout.  A sandbox directory will always have a (typically hidden) CVS
directory under it with some CVS control files in it.  Sounds like you
were trying to add a single file from the same directory you imported
from.  While there is an import option to automagically turn your
imported directory into a sandbox, it isn't on by default.

Try these steps:

1) Checkout your projects to a sandbox with:
	cvs -d {your cvsroot here} co .
(the . will get everything in your repository.  Probably overkill but
it'll work).

2) Copy the file you want to add into your new sandbox.

3) When in your sandbox directory, do a:
	cvs add mynewfile

4) While still in your sandbox:
	cvs commit -m "Adding mynewfile"

--