[cvsnt] Re: How do I add a single file?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Wed Jul 14 16:56:23 BST 2004

OK, I need some help! I'm trying to add a file and update a file. After
doing a check out and getting some errors I decided to start over again with
a release. Here is the log of my session in a cygwin/bash session:

$ cd ..

Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs
$ cvs release CaseAssessment
You have [47] altered files in this repository.
Are you sure you want to release directory `CaseAssessment': yes

I now delete the CaseAssessment folder and start over:

Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs
$ cvs co CaseAssessment
cvs server: Updating CaseAssessment
U CaseAssessment/Assertion.f
U CaseAssessment/CaseAssessment.def
U CaseAssessment/prob.f
U CaseAssessment/tausigma.f
U CaseAssessment/vark.f

Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs
$ cd CaseAssessment

I now make a change to Assertion.f

Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/htdocs/CaseAssessment
$ cvs commit
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `Assertion.f'
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!
cvs commit: saving log message in
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\cvs14.tmp

It does not look like that worked. Now I try to add a file called
makefile.g77:

Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/htdocs/CaseAssessment
$ cvs add makefile.g77
cvs [server aborted]: Directory /c//CONVEXaseAssessment does not exist on
the server

This error message looks strange! My directory is CaseAssessment. Where is
the slash and the "C"?

I tried abandoning bash in favor of cmd.exe but that did not help.
Here is my CVS root:

$ echo $CVSROOT
:pserver:siegfried at 192.168.0.8/c//CONVEX

What am I doing wrong?

  Thanks,
       Siegfried