[cvsnt] Mergepoints

Rodenbach, Tobias trodenbach at de.adit-jv.com
Tue Jul 13 16:59:04 BST 2004

Hi,

I have some questions/comments regarding the mergepoint feature (which I really appreciate):

- Are mergepoints only stored for merges to HEAD?
- When is the mergepoint stored, after the merge or after the commit?
- What happens if two communicationally challenged developers merge simultaneously from the same branch to HEAD?
- Why can't I see the mergepoints in my the "cvs log" output (see pasted output below)?
- It's a bit confusing that on http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/Merging-more-than-once.html there's no word about the mergepoints because that is the place where I would look first (judged from the title). I gladly found the info on the preceeding page.

The output in which I miss the mergepoint information:
I would expect to see some "mergepoint: 1.2.2.5" in the comment of 1.5.
CVS Server/Client are both 2.0.41 but the server is pretending to be a unix server.

bash-2.05b$ cvs log baseline.pl

RCS file: [...]
Working file: baseline.pl
head: 1.5
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
        [... some tags removed]
        mf_tr_devel: 1.5
        mt_HEAD: 1.2.2.5
        tr_devel: 1.2.0.2
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 10;    selected revisions: 10
----------------------------
revision 1.5
date: 2004/07/12 13:09:04;  author: trodenbach;  state: Exp;  lines: +106 -29
merged from tr_devel
revision 1.4
date: 2004/06/16 15:58:08;  author: trodenbach;  state: Exp;  lines: +10 -11
merged from tr_devel
[...]

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Tobias Rodenbach