[cvsnt] How to install cvsnt on windows, with sserver support?

Frstnmae Lstnmae test174_8 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:46:32 BST 2004

Hi all.

I'm trying to set up cvsnt on a win2k box and have been reading a lot on the
subject lately, but still have a few questions regarding security issues. As
the server will eventually be accessible over internet, I need to get it
right.

Currently installed is cvsnt 2.0.47, with the command line client, server
components + setuid lsa helper, RCS emulation (needed?), SSL (:sserver:)
protocol + CA certificates, and readme/help files.

To secure myself from remote exploits due to bugs in cvsnt, I've made a new
user account, 'cvsadmin', for running the service. It belongs to the guest
group for write access to /temp folders and read access to the cvsnt
executables, (Should have access to /temp as needed, with a default
w2k-server setup, or?), and has full access to the repository.

To add a (the first) user, I just create the passwd/admin files with no
passwd/nt-user in 'passwd'. Will of course have to add a password once
things get going.

Then to securing the system..

I figure I'll need to create a second account for this, 'cvsuser', with
restricted access rights. It shouldn't need even read access to
passwd/admin, so I add deny clauses for both of those in the ntfs acl's.
Maybe I could even deny all access to the CVSROOT directory, or will that
stop things from working?

And for this to work, every single user account created has to be on the
form "<cvslogin>:<password>:cvsuser" ? If i forget about the
'cvsuser'-account-part, they'll essentially have admin access? (or at least
be able to read 'passwd'/'admin'?)

As I'm new to both CVS and windows security, in other words don't have a
clue what I'm doing, this probably isn't the best approach, and may not even
be working correctly.

Any feedback appreciated,
Tore