[cvsnt] Re: CVS/CVSNT archive format compatibility ?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jul 14 12:12:56 BST 2004

Johan Holmberg wrote:

> If I switch to using CVSNT as my server (still on Linux), will I be
> able to later switch back (for whatever reason), or is the file format
> used by CVSNT so different as to be incompatible with "plain" CVS ?
>
> I have tried to find any info on this on the cvsnt.org site, but failed.
> On the /CvsntAdvantages page I noticed the following points:
>
>     - Efficient storage of binary files using binary deltas.
>
>     - Even more efficient storage using compressed deltas (when space
>       is more important than performance).
>
> This makes me believe that the formats are indeed incompatible.
> Is that really the case ?

Both of these features are optional and are not enabled by default. If
you do enable them, then the repository files will indeed become
incompatible.

> Or is there a "mode" where CVSNT uses a format compatible with
> "plain" CVS?

AFAIHU, as long as you steer clear of using format-critical
CVSNT-specific features like the two above you should be able to go back
to CVS without too many problems (if any).

I guess a list of features/options that would result in repository
incompatibility would be useful. Anyone cares to compile something like
that for the Wiki?

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver