[cvsnt] Re: cvs server login problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Jul 19 17:09:36 BST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:36:05 +0200, "Geir Drange" <gedra at tiscali.no>
wrote:

>Hi, i have beens using cvs for a while on a project, but suddenly i cannot log into
>the server any more. I think the problem started after i installed some Microsoft security fixes.
>I now get the following error each time i try to log on:
>
>Error connecting to host ...: The requested name is
>valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct
>associated data being resolved for.
>cvs [login aborted]: Connection to server failed
>
>Can anyone tell me what this problem is about?
>
>From MSDN:

    "The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it
does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. The
usual example for this is a host name -> address translation attempt
(using gethostbyname or WSAAsyncGetHostByName) which uses the DNS
(Domain Name Server), and an MX record is returned but no A record
indicating the host itself exists, but is not directly reachable."

Translating, it means your server doesn't have a published IP address
any more...  your admin has deleted it perhaps?