[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoints & Binary files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 4 14:34:44 BST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:10:48 +0100, "Harrison, Andrew"
<andy.harrison at anite.com> wrote:

>> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]

>> >Really? When I do a cvs log on a binary file, the
>> mergepoints appear where I
>> >would expect them to.
>> >
>> That's just the data passing from the client to the server during
>> commit.  It doesn't actually do anything...
>
>It's not just during the commit. The "mergepoint1 @1.1@;" line appears in
>the rcs file the same as for text files. Is there something else that I'm
>missing?

There are two parts to a mergepoint:

1. The automatic tagging, which is done by the client sending the tags
from the last merge back to the server during commmit.  That's what
adds the 'mergepoint1' data to the RCS file.
2. The merging itself, which is part of the general merging algorithm
- the mergpoint acts as a stopping point when looking for the range of
revisions to merge with.

Binary files get (1) but they don't get (2) as they're never merged.