[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoints & Binary files

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Fri Jun 4 15:00:29 BST 2004

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
>
> There are two parts to a mergepoint:
>
> 1. The automatic tagging, which is done by the client sending the tags
> from the last merge back to the server during commmit.  That's what
> adds the 'mergepoint1' data to the RCS file.
> 2. The merging itself, which is part of the general merging algorithm
> - the mergpoint acts as a stopping point when looking for the range of
> revisions to merge with.
>
> Binary files get (1) but they don't get (2) as they're never merged.

Ok. I know that the binary files don't get merged, but they do get copied.
Why can't the mergepoint that gets written in (1) be used?

As I understand it, when merging branch1 -> branch2, the following rule
applies to binary files:

  if binary file has changed in branch 1 since branchpoint
    copy binary file from branch 1 into (branch 2) sandbox
    if binary file has changed in branch 2 since branchpoint
      raise conflict
    end if
  else
    don't copy binary file
  end if

When there is a mergepoint, why can't CVS do:

  if binary file has changed in branch 1 since MERGEPOINT
    copy binary file from branch 1 into (branch 2) sandbox
    if binary file has changed in branch 2 since MERGEPOINT
      raise conflict
    end if
  else
    don't copy binary file
  end if

Regards,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Please note that my email domain has changed from @anitetelecoms.com to
@anite.com
Registered in England No. 1721900 Registered Office: 353 Buckingham Avenue,
Slough, Berkshire SL1 4PF, United Kingdom

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.