[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoints & Binary files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 4 17:25:00 BST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:15:37 +0100, "Harrison, Andrew"
<andy.harrison at anite.com> wrote:

>> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
>>
>> For a binary file a merge is always a conflict.  In practice this
>> means that if the version in the sandbox is different from the latest
>> version then you will conflict.
>>
>> There is no branchpoint/mergepoint logic involved with a binary file
>> as it's never needed.
>>

>Yes, I understand that any merge on a binary file is a conflict, but what
>I'm trying to show is that there are some points where a binary file does
>not need to merge because it has previously been merged (by the user, not by
>CVS). CVS can detect this by looking the mergepoints and so avoid the
>conflicts.

In theory, yes, but there's currently no code to do anything like it
(pretty much all you could do is see if the current revision had a
mergepoint on it from the revision that you're trying to merge).  Put
it in the bug system as a wishlist and I'll look at implementing it.