[cvsnt] breakthrough with sspi on windows xp

Luc LeBlanc lleblanc at vital-sat.com
Fri Jun 4 20:49:48 BST 2004

Hello,

I thought this might help somebody else.  I have been trying to get a
connection with cvsnt from wincvs for three weeks now.

I tried everything that was posted here and elsewhere.  I kept getting

"cvs [checkout aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree
on an authentication scheme (got '')"

Or "cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server CVSSERVER: -1: Unkown
error".

My setup is cvsnt on a windows xp professional edition, and I've got wincvs
on the same machine.

I was told that it was probably the antivirus that was causing it. Wrong.
I've got a personal firewall and a virus scanner running.  It was MacAfee's
Privacy Service.  Disabling it does not work, uninstall it.

After removing this, I got sspi to work as well as pserver.  The only thing
is I've got a laptop connected to this machine and when I try to connect to
it through sspi it keeps trying to connect as a guest event though there is
an account created on the server matching an account on the laptop. Any
ideas?

Pserver is working no problem, finally:-)

I don't have a domain, is it possible to connect from another computer
without a domain through sspi?

The moral of the story,  Uninstall MacAfee Privacy Service and things should
go a lot better:-)