[cvsnt] Re: Help correcting mistake

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jun 7 23:39:32 BST 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:11:44 -0400, "P. Dwayne Miller"
<dmiller at espgroup.net> wrote:

>I have a user that tried to manually move a file out of the attic... (he
>had deleted it by mistake).  Now, some operations work on that file, but
>some result in the following error
>
>cvs server: Dropping data: pos>vec->nlines
>cvs [server aborted]: invalid change text in d:/cvs/dir/file.txt,v
>
>We've both looked at the edited file, but cannot see anything that looks
>wrong.  I would like to be able to keep the revision history so would
>like to be able to recover the file if possible.  Otherwise, I can
>delete the file completely and checkin the latest revision and go
>forward from there.
>
>He says he removed the 'DEAD" revision by editing the file manually.
>
>Any hopes?

Lesson to be learned:
*NEVER EVER* expose the disk drive that holds the repository files to
a file share anywhere!!!
The users should only be allowed access to the repository through
regular cvs commands, this way they cannot cause irreparable damage
like this. This is ensured by only allowing the administrative sshare
on this drive for backup purposes and disallowing regular users from
accessing this share.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)