[cvsnt] Re: Why "nothing known about" message?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 18 22:11:41 BST 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:05:18 -0700, Glen Starrett <grstarrett at cox.net>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I have set up a new module for a program I need to write.
>> This is not defined in any modules or modules2 file, insetad I have just
>> added the folder and the files of this Delphi project to an existing module.
>>
>> But this project needs a rather complex set of dependent files from other modules
>> in several repositories (that's why modules or modules2 will not work).
>> So I have created a batch file to check out the dependent files into subfolders
>> in the new module. So right now I have:
>>
>> MainModule
>>  |- A
>>  |- B
>>  |- C
>>  |- D
>>  |- E
>>  |- F
>>
>> Some of these dependent modules are checked out in extenso (all contained files).
>> But in some of them I have only needed a few files so I arranged the batch file
>> to check out only the wanted files.
>> This works fine until I want to do an update from MainModule.
>> At this time I get this response (with the real file/folder names):
>>

>How do the recognized modules relate to the unrecognized ones?  That is,
>are the recognized ones all from the same repository?  If I had to guess
>(which I do since I don't know the internals...), I'd say it's likely in
>the update code that processes a module, rewrites the entries, and moves
>on -- but doesn't handle multiple roots well.
>
>What does MainModule/CVS/Root have in it?
>
>Regards,

The structure is this:
3 repositories are involved, the main module is in /Tool and then
there are modules from /Common and /3RProj:

/Common:
CellLayoutEdit
GraphicItem
IdObjects
Sprite
Utilities

/3RProj:
GraphicDefinitions
GraphicItems
Sprites

The strange thing is that the message comes up about modules that have
just been checked:

cvs server: Updating CellLayoutEdit
cvs server: Updating GraphicItem
cvs server: Updating IdObjects
cvs server: Updating Sprite
cvs server: Updating Utilities
cvs server: nothing known about GraphicItem
cvs server: nothing known about Sprite
cvs server: Updating GraphicDefinitions
cvs server: Updating GraphicItems
cvs server: Updating Sprites

I can't see any connection here to any commonality or similar.
First the update covers the modules from /Common, then it complains
about not knowing whereupon it continues with the modules from
/3RProj...

The CVS/Root file contains:
  :sspi:3rappl01:/TOOL

Confusing.