[cvsnt] Re: Connecting from Linux to a Win2k server

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sat Jun 26 22:44:04 BST 2004

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

>>>1- What do I tell Linux users? I also have installed the ssh protocol. Does
>>>it simply work, so to speak "out of the box"? Or is some other installation
>>>on the server (ssh client) necessary for that?
>>
>>There is a SSPI client-only protocol that works under linux, so they can
>>connect directly with sspi.
>

> Are you saying that a Linux user could connect with something like
>
> cvs -d :sspi:user at myhost:/myrepo login
>
> and it would work?

Yes.  This works for me when my usernames are the same:

	cvs -d :sspi:myhost:/myrepo login

or when you need a different username, use:

	cvs -d :sspi:user at myhost:/myrepo login

This is run on my Linux box (FC2) to my WinXP-Pro CVS server.

The primary difference that I can *see* on it is that the Linux SSPI
requires the login step, even when the username isn't required.  I
believe though that the SSPI client that is used from Linux is on the
order of Win9x level of security, which isn't considered "high" security
(but better than pserver, I think... but I'm no security expert).

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett