[cvsnt] Problem listing modules on NT4 Server

Jon McLin jmclin at andigilog.com
Wed Jun 30 15:58:36 BST 2004

I am new to CVS, so I apologize in advance if this is simply a
misconfiguration issue.

I have installed CVSNT (2.0.38 initially, now 2.0.41a) on an NT4 server
(sp6, Terminal Server Edition).  As I understand it, the ls command should
list the directories within the repository, and then any modules defined in
the CVSROOT/modules file.

The perceived problem:  "cvs ls" attempts to list directories in a
subdirectory of the repository, with the same name as the repository: ie, my
repository is "LearnCVS", cvsnt attempts to list modules in
"LearnCVS/LearnCVS"

I did note in the archives that there were some reports of similar problems
on the mailing list in May, but the threads were dangling (no conclusions.)

The following, from a command prompt session on the server (Bullwinkle).  My
prefix is E:\cvsrepo, my repository is "LearnCVS", as such:
[
E:\cvsrepo\        #  server prefix
            LearnCVS\        # repository
                        Demo\               # a module added through
TortoiseCVS
                        Foo\                  # another module added through
TortoiseCVS
]

=================== 8< ----------------------------------------
Z:\>set CVSROOT=:sspi:Bullwinkle:/LearnCVS
Z:\>cvs ls
Listing modules on the server

Cvs server: cannot open directory E:\cvsrepo\LearnCVS\LearnCVS: no such file
or directory
Cvs server: skipping directory.
================== 8< ----------------------------------------

To test the behavior, I created a "LearnCVS" folder within
"E:\cvsrepo\LearnCVS", added a few empty folders "Mod1","Mod2", "Mod3", and
"Mod4"
[
E:\cvsrepo\        #  server prefix
            LearnCVS\        # repository
                        Demo\               # a module added through
TortoiseCVS
                        Foo\                  # another module added through
TortoiseCVS
                        LearnCVS\        # dummy folder created using
Explorer.
                                    Mod1\   # dummy "module" folder created
w. Explorer.
                                    Mod2\   # ditto
                                    Mod3\   # ditto
                                    Mod4\   # ditto
]
================== 8< ----------------------------------------
Z:\>set CVSROOT=:sspi:Bullwinkle:/LearnCVS
Z:\>cvs ls

Listing modules on the server

Mod1
Mod2
Mod3
Mod4
================== 8< ----------------------------------------

So it is clearly recursing one level below the repository to list the
directory contents.
Have I misconfigured something, am I just clueless, or should I file a bug
report?

Note that I originally observed this behavior using TortoiseCVS client
1.6.14, and cvsnt 2.0.38.   The log text in Tortoise suggested the problem
was server-side, so I tried (a) the server client, and (b) upgrading the
server to 2.0.41a.  And here we are today.

Also, when modules are created, they are created at the correct level in the
hierarchy (ie, when I created module "Foo", it appears as
E:\cvsrepo\LearnCVS\Foo).

Any suggestions as to how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jon