[cvsnt] Re: setting dates of checked out files (touch)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sat Mar 6 04:06:37 GMT 2004

Thanks Tony,

I dont know why I didn't get your e-mail, I only just noticed this reply on
the newsgroup server...

Actaully I want to use this feature for Make?  Why does it break Make?  I
assume the problem is if you check in a whole lotta files then the
timestamps may come out in a funny order?  I guess I assumed that CVS would
take a time (at the beginning of the commit) and then use that as the time
of the commit for all files that are a part of that transaction...  Either
that or it would use the time of last modification on the file - but I can
see there could be a whole load of problems with that.

Either way having all the timestamps set to the checkout time REALLY breaks
makde, and as long as the checkins are reasonably atomic (ie: I dont go
changing and then committing everything) which it is usually for us then the
checkin time will be more helpful.

Funny that the first checkout does this and subsequent ones dont - almost
constitutes inconsistent behaviour ;)

None of my checkouts seem to have a CVS/Entries.Extra file.  Is this a
recent CVSNT enhancement?  I'd like this to be a switch on CVS itself - but
I suppose if a "client side trigger" is available to update the files each
time they are checked out or updated then I could use that - but I dont
think there is - arent all the "triggers" server side?

If some part of CVSNT is already putting the info into CVS/Entries.Extra
then I assume it'll be easy for me to hack a "if option blah is set then
touch the file with this time" sort of thing.  Rather than me going at it
hammer and tongs - can you suggest what I need to look for?

I also note that CVSNT doesnt compile with Visual Studio 6 anymore and
Visual Studio .NET 2002 doesnt like the .sln file at all - so I assume I
need to finally get around to installing VS .NET 2003?

Have a great weekend!

Arthur Barrett

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:cidb40t2ul0h6fb1st6ode4705bdgual38 at 4ax.com...
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:22:23 +1100, "Arthur Barrett"
> <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:
>
> >Can I force CVS to give this file the date/time 1/Mar/2004 11:30 GMT
instead (ie: when it was checked in).