[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT/WinCVS/SSPI/SSH problems

Thomas Muller ttm at online.no
Wed Mar 10 13:06:15 GMT 2004

| Thomas Muller wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I just configured CVS-NT and WinCVS, but have some problems
| with SSPI
| > authentication (pserver works fine). For SSPI the server
| response with
| >
| > CVSROOT: ttm at gollum:C:/BaseCamp/VersionControl (sspi
| authentication)
| > cvs -q checkout OnRelay (in directory C:\BaseCamp\Temp) cvs
| [checkout
| > aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access
| >
| > ***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
| >
| > The server runs CVS-NT 2.0.34 on Win2k Pro SP4. The CVS passwd file
| > contains one line:
| >
| > ttm:
|
| Try removing the passwd file.  You don't need it with SSPI
| (or pserver
| for that matter) for accounts in the system.

I tried this. Same error applies. Any other suggestions?

| > I have another question related to SSH as well. I tried to
| use pserver
| > via an SSH server on a third box (on the open Net), i.e. the client
| > connects to localhost (port 2401 and 2402), the ssh client
| forwards to
| > two designated ports on the remote ssh server, the remote
| ssh server
| > forwards the ports  to the host running cvsnt. This didn't work,
| > however, the connection attempts were immediately rejected, even
| > through telnet. Any ideas why?
|
| Sounds like the remote host doesn't have the CVS port open.  It also
| sounds like you're tunneling through SSH (I don't know much
| about that,
| just that it's possible).  Typically you'll have CVS do the SSH work
| with the :ssh: or :ext: protocols to the server (port 2401 again).

It actually works fine now: I just needed set up local tunneling
directly to the "internal" CVS server and not "double" forwarding as I
originally configured. I can't use the SSH protocol directly from the
client, since I don't have direct access to the CVS-NT server from the
outside world (it runs on an internal 10.* LAN). I connect via a box
with two separate NICs protected by different firewalls

| Port 2402 is only used by CVS server-side.  You can telnet
| into it, but
| the CVSNT client never uses port 2402 directly.

OK, good to know. Thanks.

--

Thomas