[cvsnt] CVSNT and "Connection reset by peer" error.

chris.kyte at realsolutionsuk.com chris.kyte at realsolutionsuk.com
Wed Mar 17 16:28:40 GMT 2004

Afternoon fellow CVS users,

May I first say what a great piece of software CVSNT is and how it has
made both our and our customers lives a lot easier when it comes to team
based java development projects.  We have been using CVSNT along with
WebSphere Studio Application Developer for a couple of years with many
customers and it is only now that I have encountered my first CVS related
issue, a testament to the software I feel.  However, none the less I have
an issue which I have trawled through the mail archive on the cvsnt.org
site an still cannot find an answer, so please help!!!!!

OK, the facts :

Error Text - "Connection Reset By Peer", this results in the network
connection dropping at best, or a complete PC crash at worst.  File
exchange will work for a short time before this error occurs, for example
I have an enterprise application which contains three projects, a web
project, an EJB project and a utility project.  The first project I try to
add to the CVS sometimes updates first time, but when I try and add the
EJB project to the CVS for example, then the error will occur.

CVS Versions Tried - 2.0.24 and 2.0.34

Operating Systems Of Server Tried - W2K Server and Windows XP

Client Operating Systems - XP

Client Development Environment - IBM WebSphere Studio Application
Developer

If there is any more information that is required then don't hesitate to
get in touch.

Also,  I have read on one of the troubleshooting pages that one such cause
of this problem could be that "inetd is listening for connections but is
unable to start CVSNT".  Obviously this is not a Windows networking
interface but I was wondering what the CVSNT for W2K or XP equivalent may
be, primarily as the error message is the same as we are getting???????

We have also tried telneting the server on port 2401, typing the "foo"
command - and this returns the desired response - "bad auth protocol start
: foo"

Finally, are there any debug settings we should be applying which will
help us gain a more detailed error message.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has taken the time to read this note.

Kind Regards

Chris

Chris Kyte
REAL Solutions
The Courtyard
Ashley Road
Hale
Altrincham
Cheshire
WA14 3NG

Telephone: 0161 926 7760
Solution Line Technical Support: 0161 926 1777
Mobile: 07980 681 215

Email:chris.kyte at realebusiness.com
Web: http://www.realebusiness.com
Web: http://www.realsolutionsuk.com

This message and any attachments are intended only for the individual or
company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or prohibited from disclosure or unauthorised
use. Any form of dissemination, copying, disclosure, distribution and/or
publication of this e-mail message or its attachments to third parties is
only permitted with the express permission of the sender.