[cvsnt] Re: no connection to cvs server after upgrade

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 17:13:40 GMT 2004

Hans Horn wrote:
> Is there anything else I could try to remedy this problem?
> Re-install windows? Buy a new computer? (just kiddin').
>
> Is it possible to "reinstall" Winsock?

It sounds like something really is broken in your networking stack.

Try running the CVSNT server in test mode (I think it's "cvsservice -t
-t -t").

Try connecting to that server from your client using telnet "telnet
hanshorn 2401".  Type some stuff.  You should get some error message
from CVSNT server.

Assuming both the above were dismal failures, I'd get more drastic.
Uninstall all AV / Firewalls (unhook your Internet connect first :).
Make sure XP's built in firewall is disabled.  I might even try to go
into networking, rip out stuff, then reinstall the pieces you need--but
that's a bit risky if you don't know what you're doing.  I don't even
know if it would help, but by the sound of it, it just might.

--
Glen Starrett