[cvsnt] Cannot connect to lock server

Magnus McElroy foo at you.com
Mon May 3 22:19:18 BST 2004

Hello, group:

I'm trying to set up a CVS server and repository. The computers will all be
Windows-based, including the server. It's running Win XP Home. The computers
in question are able to connect to each other through the LAN; it's not a
physical problem.

I am able to use CVSNT to create a respository and access on my local
machine. Yes, I know that I'm strongly discouraged from doing this, but I
don't have the resources to get a new server just for the respository. I am
unable to use a remote machine to check out anything. I get the errors:

cvs server: Error connecting to localhost: No such host is known.
cvs [server aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server.

The errors are identical on WinCVS and Tortoise CVS.Both the CVSNT and CVSNT
Locking Service services are running. On the repository machine, I can check
code in and out, no problem. When using any other machine, I get this error.
Clearly, I have set something up incorrectly, but I can't figure out what it
is. Please don't tell me to ask my System Administrator - it's me (by
default), and I already know what I'll say. Can you help me out?

Thank you.