[cvsnt] Re: Cannot connect to lock server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 3 23:42:26 BST 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:19:18 -0700, "Magnus McElroy" <foo at you.com>
wrote:

>Hello, group:
>
>I'm trying to set up a CVS server and repository. The computers will all be
>Windows-based, including the server. It's running Win XP Home. The computers
>in question are able to connect to each other through the LAN; it's not a
>physical problem.
>
>I am able to use CVSNT to create a respository and access on my local
>machine. Yes, I know that I'm strongly discouraged from doing this, but I
>don't have the resources to get a new server just for the respository. I am
>unable to use a remote machine to check out anything. I get the errors:
>
>cvs server: Error connecting to localhost: No such host is known.
>cvs [server aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server.
>
>The errors are identical on WinCVS and Tortoise CVS.Both the CVSNT and CVSNT
>Locking Service services are running. On the repository machine, I can check
>code in and out, no problem. When using any other machine, I get this error.
>Clearly, I have set something up incorrectly, but I can't figure out what it
>is. Please don't tell me to ask my System Administrator - it's me (by
>default), and I already know what I'll say. Can you help me out?
>
>Thank you.

One of your problems are already listed in your description:
You run the CVSNT server on XP-Home....
Microsoft has crippled XP-Home such that it does not really allow
people from outside to access any server functions on it.
You need to upgrade the operating system to XP-Pro, then it will work
as expected.
Running the server on a workstation is OK, normally you should not do
it, but as long as you keep your clients away from direct access to
the repository files it'll work just fine. But needs XP-Pro...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)